This workshop is designed to help poets both create more accurate, precise images in nature poetry. In the first two sessions, we will study the ways in which errors in naturalistic descriptions can compromise a poem, and also look at ways in which to employ skillful depictions of nature. We will also draft our own poems in relation to course topics. In the latter two sessions, we will study poems that go beyond images of nature to make broader cultural, social, or political statements. We will take time to research and refine our drafts from class, workshop with peers, and experiment with expanding our depictions of nature into a wider context. There are weekly reading assignments and exploratory exercises between class sessions.
- Course packet provided upon registration
- Nature Poem by Tommy Pico, Tin House Books, 2017. Available at Bookshop.org, or visit the publisher page for more print and ebook purchasing options.
We will meet via Zoom from 7:00-8:30 pm Central Time on the following dates:
- Wednesday, May 26th, 2021
- Wednesday, June 2nd, 2021
- Wednesday, June 9th, 2021
- Wednesday, June 16th, 2021
Early bird rate: $233 by Sunday, May 16th, 2021
Standard rate: $333 between May 17th and May 24th
Registration closes Monday, May 24th at 11:59 pm
Register Now: Hawks Don’t Circle
Admission to the Hawks Don’t Circle workshop. Please note that you are responsible for purchasing Tommy Pico’s book Nature Poem on your own. See course information for buying options.